Sunday, July 23, 2006

Thai Goodness



This is green curry with tofu from Cool Basil in Des Moines. It's a local favorite around here...if you're in town, don't miss it! If I'm having a bad day, green curry can make it better. If I'm having a great day, green curry will top it off. If I'm hungry, green curry hits the spot. If I'm not hungry, it doesn't matter...I can't turn down green curry. It's so perfect in every way. I crave it.

I sometimes go to their "sister restaurant", Thai Flavors (same owners). They are both great...but have different atmospheres. Cool Basil is a little fancier and they don't have fresh spring rolls...my favorite. Kristin and I had some when she was in town.

We budget money each month specifically for Cool Basil. Yes, I love it that much. There are several other Thai restaurants in town, but we haven't gone (Pho, The King and I, and Nut Pob). Maybe I need to branch out...but hey, when you find something good, why mess it up?

Whenever we are traveling, I make a point to search out the local Thai restaurant.

Omaha, NE: Thai Spice and Thai Kitchen (best pad thai)
Ames, IA: The Spice (best service)
Iowa City, IA: Thai Spice (community activists)
Fargo, ND: Thai Orchid (surprisingly delicious)
Apple Valley, MN: Taste of Thailand (amazing spring rolls)
Bloomington, MN: Ketsana's Thai Restaurant (right off I-494, easy take out)
Kansas City, MO: Thai Place (great atmoshere)
Boulder, CO: Know Thai (fast service...more like Thai fast food)

Please let me know your favorites too! Get out and support your local Thai restaurant TODAY!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

mmmmmm.....i don't even need to say anything.. you know what i think about thai food. pretty much the greatest thing that God made : ) (not quite, but close)

1:04 PM, August 03, 2006  
Blogger DSMPolis said...

The King and I is really pretty marvelous. Their summer rolls are to die for. I've liked all of the Thai restaurants I've tried in Des Moines, and they're all good in different ways.

Best Tofu Panang: Thai Flavors
Best Pineapple Fried Rice: Cool Basil
Best Papaya Salad & Summer Rolls: King and I

Nut Pob was excellent, too... and Taste of Thailand, when it was open, had a marvelous Seitan Curry.

1:55 PM, August 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our family likes House of Thai in Urbandale. Its a drive, but if we know we have to be on that side of town, we always make a point to stop. The help is always the same, and they never mind that my daughter can't sit still and insists on greeting everyone she sees!

12:09 PM, December 18, 2006  
Anonymous emergency dentist amarillo said...

It’s indeed a good post, helped me a lot.

2:54 AM, December 02, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home